Sunday, August 14, 2011

What a tangled web we weave...


{My camera hates this colour... it makes it all glowy and weird!!}

As I was unraveling this orange yarn, debating its future, I had a vision of orange spider webs. I think it's because this orange is that very blatant, bright shade typically associated with Halloween. After contemplating the web thought further, and trying to decided how to go about assembling said webs, I decided to check the internet for something similar to what I was thinking...


Do you know, in the whole big wide internet I could not find a crocheted square that had a web in the middle??? Sure there's a ton of different spider stitch projects (I used it to make this baby blanket), and tons of webs, but not one.single.square with a webbed centre!!!

So I started working on my own pattern. I drew a few sketches, scribbled some rough pattern notes and then got down to business. I thought I had it completed by the fourth test swatch, as I mentioned in the last post, and I was sooo Happy with a capital "h" that I had been so successful...

{These are the squares in order of their completion with the finished square top most on the pile}

Unfortunately my occasional perfectionist-ism decided to rear it's ugly head and I just couldn't leave well enough alone... so I started messing around with edging and trying to figure out how exactly I would go about joining the square when I finally did perfect them... After a few more hours of fiddling and frogging and general finangling I am FINISHED the square!!! Phew!

Here it is, in all it's glory:


 {Finished with V-stitch border so when the squares are joined, it adds to the overall "effect" of webs!}

So... What do you think? Was it worth my effort? Is it something you would make yourself?? Please leave a comment and let me know. If I get enough interest, I would be willing to write the pattern to share :) Also, does anybody have ideas of what I can use it for? Right now I'm thinking a table cover or runner would work, but as it is right now, this square is languishing in my WIP drawer along with all the others!!!

Look for me linking at Tami's Amis and Visions of Sugar Plums.  Go see what everyone else is working on this week and share some comment love:)
post signature

12 comments:

  1. Wow, what a nice bright colour. The squares are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's a great design! How fun for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's gorgeous! Probably too intricate for me, but I could definitely see it as a table runner or full tablecloth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was thinking a Halloween table runner. Marie, it is really NOT intricate at all, just rounds of ch and dc!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done! It would make a gorgeous 'treat bag' you could line it with black to make the orange pop :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab design, I love it! I love orange in general though ;)

    Halloween table runner would work, or a throw over the back of a chair maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, I like both those ideas! If only I had an armchair... or knew how to make a bag lining :S (add that to the list of things I want to learn!!) I will be playing around to see what happens! Thank you for the great suggestions:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know what ? I really like that: nice job :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I always encourage writing up patterns and the block looks fun. Could be nice over a pillow form with a plain background.

    ReplyDelete
  10. love love love this square...and the orange is really pretty..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your lovely comments:)

    I do have rough notes jotted down already, but getting them into understandable "pattern" lingo is harder than I would thought!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the orange..maybe a runner..just found you. thinking I will become a follower..feel free to check me out. have a great day

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a "hello"! You've really made my day :)