Thursday, October 6, 2011

How to fold a Starghan

So, starghans are super awesome, especially for little kids. The only problem I've had with them is how to fold them. They are kind of like the fitted sheet of the crochet blanket world. I promise, your linen closet (or stack of linens at the bottom of your closet if you are anything like me...) will thank you :)



You can use any size starghan. The one on the left is somewhere in the 36" range, and the one on the right is about half of that. (And you'll just have to ignore all those loose ends that I haven't woven in on that blue one, k? thanks!!)

Here goes:



Lay your blanket out flat in front of you. I found it a little easier to start with two points towards me, like the pic on the left. 

Fold up the bottom two points so that the are level with the tops of the "arms".

 Fold the left arm across so that the tip is about level with the indent or valley of the opposing side.

Fold the second arm across.When you do this step with a larger blanket, you'll want to make sure that none of the layers underneath are bunching up at this point otherwise it won't lay nice!

Fold the bottom section up on itself and fold the top point down as well.


There's a little pocket formed when you bring the bottom up. Tuck the folded over point of the star in here, and your finished product looks like this:


SOO easy once you get the hang of it! You'll be thinking you're Martha with your fancy blanket-folding skillz!!!!

Let me know if you try this, and if it works for you. I'd love to know :)

post signature

4 comments:

  1. That is so cool, and I want a star afghan now!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Hazel said---this is an awesome folding idea (which I would never have thought of in a billion years, I am horrid at folding anything, let alone something asymmetrical like a starghan!), and now I totally want to make a starghan. Yours look fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Be careful Hazel and Kathleen, starghans are addictive!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a "hello"! You've really made my day :)