Friday, August 5, 2011

Engaging the Grey Matter

Picked up that little diddy for my post title from AnnaBoo's House. Amazing little blog, so be sure to go stop over and give her a read! She found me via Saritha's blog, which I had posted on after having seen her link up to Tami's Amis. I LOVE how connections can be made like that in blogland:)

Now on to the matter at hand (pun intended!)... They say "what you don't use, you lose" and this is SO true. It's also known that if you stop learning new things, challenging yourself, and thinking outside your normal areas of expertise, that your brain actually stops making the pathways necessary to learn new things in the future. (I learned this last summer when my FIL got in a serious motorcycle accident and bonked his melon real bad!!! He had to take up doing new things so that his brain could restore the pathways that were damaged in said accident. It was very interesting to learn this from the doctor!!)

So this is what I am going to learn:


To sew. You see, hubby bought me the pictured machine for a steal. As in, $25 from a thrift store, and it was a great deal, even though it was missing it's "accessories".

I took a basic sewing class (a mandatory one) in high school, so I can still thread a machine (with help from the manual), and stitch a (relatively) straight line. I did have a machine for a very brief period about four years ago, but at that time, I had no idea what I was doing, and basically ended up screwing up something within the machine and had NO idea how to fix it. With it being a cheapo machine, I didn't bother taking it in to see what could be done, I just got rid of it...

When I had it I did manage to somehow follow the instructions on how to make this dress from a yoke-back shirt:
{I used this tutorial}
P.S. If you haven't been to Craftster, you really must. It has a little bit of everything, and a ton of awesome people!!

But, for the purpose of full disclosure, when I went to make Small Child a "Tooth Fairy" pillow this week, I ended up with a complete mess:( Like, so bad that I don't even want to put the effort into photographing it, BAD!

So, all is not completely forgotten (I can still thread a machine!), just rusty and dusty and much neglected. To the reading of instructions and tutorials I must go! If you have recommendations on sites to visit, please, please, pass them on!! I already have Me Sew Crazy and Learn How to Sew Now bookmarked, but I'm going to need all the help I can get:)

I think that next, I will learn applied physics. After all this sewing stuff, it should be a breeze! :)

And seeing as this is fiber-related (right?? Right!), I will be linking up over at Visions of Sugar Plums, cuz Beth is nice like that, and includes both yarny and fabricy stuff in her party :) Make sure you go check out the other fantastic things everyone is working on (a few have caught my eye already)!!
 post signature

2 comments:

  1. Hee hee....I'm nice like that! Of course!! I love to see this fabric-y creation!! Have you seen my pillowcase tutorial? I made a toothfairy pillowcase (and just put it to use for the first time the other night!) Search for pillowcase on my blog and maybe that will help?? A little??

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's exactly what I was trying to make!! If anyone else has use for a "tooth case" be sure to go check out Beth's post: Welcome, Tooth Fairy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a "hello"! You've really made my day :)