Sunday, June 26, 2011

A compendium of Things to Do with a six-year-old!

So, this summer I get the privilege of entertaining Small Child for the summer, so I decided to come up with a list of activities, both indoor and out, both crafty and not, and we could work our way through those for summer fun outside of swimming which is our go-to activity for her.

And, because I have no better place to keep such a list, and I have enjoyed reading through blogs and getting inspiration from their lists, I decided to share what I've come up with you guys as well!!

Here it is so far:

Making our own loom to weave potholders. Because we have a ton of out-worn/out-grown clothes that are not in good enough condition to donate.

Some of our other t-shirts could well do with some tie dying, fabric painting or general refashioning to hide all the stains... on the Small's t-shirts that is, because as a grown-up I don't constantly spill food on myself anymore.... yah, right... :)

Napkin rings made from recycled tissue rolls or plastic bottles, because I do have vast quantities of yarn, and well, tissue rolls are not hard to come by!

Small Child loves the "excavation" kits we pick up as a special treat, but I think she would like making her own even better!

Waffles on a stick. Need I say more? These fancy ones:
come from Nifty Thrifty Things. I don't think ours will be quite as fancy though!!!

This recipe might actually get Small Child to eat apples. On the other hand, I have no problem eating apples with dip, so I will probably over-indulge... a LOT! They remind me of some of those fancy-pants caramel apples you can buy for like, $10 a pop. Like these:


And while we are busy playing with vast quantities of chocolate in the kitchen, we should probably make some of these chocolates.

After the chocolates, we'll need to get outside and burn off the calories. Grass Stain Guru, and Housing a Forest have a ton of ideas for outdoor or self-directed play. I've been following Chasing Cheerios for a very long time. It was one of the first blogs I started to read regularly, and even though it's geared to younger kids, I've gotten some really great ideas there. The three of these should provide at least a dozen or so jumping off points for this summer.

As well, I want to give teaching her how to crochet another try. She didn't have quite the co-ordination needed when I tried about 8 months ago! I think we'll start out simple with some chain-stitch bracelets she can wear and admire. Nothing like instant gratification, especially when learning something new.

Well, that's about all I have worked up so far. It should keep us entertained for a while at least. Maybe I'll make up one of these to keep track of it all:

  post signature

2 comments:

  1. Wow i read your blog, its really amazing and something different from others, you have done a nice work thanks. Carry on
    Mattress Protectors

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, thank you very much! So nice to have new people coming in and saying hello :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a "hello"! You've really made my day :)