Monday, February 14, 2011

The Tale of a Blanket

A long time ago... really, it HAS been almost 2 years...

a fair maiden... but I have dark hair, and haven't been a maiden for a while now...

started on a perilous journey... have you ever tried to buy a decent shade of orange yarn??? trust me, perilous doesn't even begin to describe it...

to make her fair love... he's not so fair either, but I do love him... most days...


a display of her affection... I should have just demonstrated my affection {if you know what I mean}, it would have been SO much easier...

After untold struggles... well, not really "untold," I wrote a special post about them here

she finally completed her task... well, mostly (it's not quite big enough)!



I knew it wasn't going to be big enough though, I did, after all, run out of the orange yarn back the first time I "made" it... and with that yarn being some random mill end I had picked up at Walmart, I wasn't shocked when it happened!!! Fortunately, Hubs isn't that tall, so ending up with a 62" square still means he's covered from chest to toes... And that is going to have to be Good Enough.


Here's a close-up of it's ugliness. Don't look at me, Hubby wanted black and orange, and this was the easiest way I could do it. It's 2 strands (orange is a sport-weight, the black is a worsted) held together, double crocheted with a M/9mm hook.


It actually has an extremely nice drape to it, and is super comfy cozy. Just the other day Small Child was snuggled up with it and said, "The next time you make me a blanket, I want it to be just like this." I guess you can't really get a much better compliment than that! I've found myself under it a couple times, and it DOES feel good. 

So, after everything that went on in making this blanket, it is definitely one project process I hope NEVER EVER EVER to have to repeat again. (I think I will stick to the Baby Blankets and Hats for a while)

4 comments:

  1. Reading this post made me grin ear-to-ear, so thank you for that! :D I'm glad that the fractured fairy tale of this blanket has a happy ending---it looks wonderfully soft and as a big fan of Halloween, I kind of like the black and orange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on finishing your husband's blanket, Claire! It turned out well. I had a nightmarish project once, a vest that I was kinda coerced into making. It came out as planned, but I still shudder when I think about it!
    -Karla, your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on finishing your blanket!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much! I am SO glad to be done with it! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a "hello"! You've really made my day :)